- This event has passed.
Mitsingen – Bring Your Valentine to Sing and Dance!
February 17, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm$10
A Sing-along of German Love and Friendship Folk Songs.
Learn to Dance the Slow Waltz!
- From 2-3pm a FREE dance lesson — learn how to dance the Slow Waltz from a professional dance teacher!
- From 3-5pm – A sing-along, featuring some of the best-known German folk songs about Love and Friendship.
- In between sing-along sets, the Männerchor will perform songs in four-part harmony
- Pub food served in the Ratskeller from 1:00pm to 5:00pm.
- A full service cash bar available serving beer, wine and mixed drinks
- After the singing, music for your dancing pleasure – put your waltzing knowledge into action! Also featuring music for foxtrot and polka, among others.
The Franklinville-Schwarzwald Männerchor, the only German men’s chorus in the Philadelphia area, is pleased to announce a unique event: a sing-along of best-loved and well-known German Folk Songs. Our theme this year will be love and friendship songs in honor of Valentine’s Day. Bring your Valentine and your loved ones to experience the heart-warming joy of singing together – a critical component to experiencing Gemütlichkeit – good music, good friends, and a feeling of togetherness and being sociable.
In between sets of four or five songs sung in unison with audience participation, the Männerchor will be delighting people with the unique sound of a men’s chorus singing in multi-voice harmony. In addition, we will feature beautiful instrumental interludes.
German folk songs have such a rich cultural heritage and are so full of all kinds of emotions. This year we have selected folksongs about Love and Friendship, from old favorites like “Du, du, liegst mir im Herzen”, to “Ännchen von Tharau” and “Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär”, to the world-famous “Lili Marlene” and many more. Let’s pass on this precious cultural heritage to the coming generations – bring the whole family! Children love to sing and learning the lyrics to songs is a great way to learn some German.
Printed lyrics to all the songs will be provided, as well as English translations.
We are privileged to have Peter Kadel, a Sr. Fellow of the Imperial Society of Ballroom Dancing, donating his time to provide a free hour-long dance lesson before the singing starts to anyone who wishes to learn the Waltz. A unique opportunity to learn this elegant and graceful dance from a real master! After the singing, music will be provided for plenty of time to put your newly learned skill into practice. Come sing and dance, and enjoy!
Jacqueline Smith directs this unique combination of communal singing, choral performance, instrumental interludes and folk music.
$10 per person, or $5 for children under 12. To reserve tables or for more information, call Mark Fairchild at 215-486-3440.